Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Keeping Myself Organized Online

I am a geek or a nerd or whatever adjective you prefer to call my type.  I was National Honor Society president in high school - don't get much nerdier than that! But I did NOT wear pocket protectors, ever - promise!   

In that vein, I have always loved lists and forms to stay organized and remind me what I need to do.  Even after I moved onto the computer and software, I kept using paper forms and calendars to keep me going - until the last year or so and the real reason I switched to online is as simple as Google.  

I used Microsoft Outlook for years and years and always loved it, to the point that I really didn't think I could manage a calendar without it.  But then my computer crashed and my husband had lost his job and I just didn't see how spending the money on Outlook was a valid expense when there were so many free calendar options available.  

I tried a couple of different calendars, including Cozi, but I ended up using Google's calendar.  It's good for a family because you can invite the rest of your family to share your calendar and see your schedule.  This is a theoretical advantage, however, because granting them permission doesn't mean they will actually ever look at it.  Maybe one day!  I do tell my husband to check the calendar online when he asks me about dates, though.   

It's also great because I can add the school holidays at home on my full keyboard laptop, and have it with me on my phone when I'm at the doctor's office and need to schedule a follow-up appointment.  I don't have to remember to have my paper calendar in my purse!

But what about my to-do list, you might ask?  To that I reply, Google Keep.  It's like Post-It notes, but you can make lists or notes, and you can even put alarms on them.  I use them for daily to-do lists, my grocery list, my errand list, and even a reminder of our safety deposit box number.  I have one for each room of the house for decor needs I still have, in case I run across a good sale.  And the notes can be color-coded.  Again, they are online so they are available on my PC and phone, so as long as didn't forget my phone, I didn't forget my grocery list.  Here's what my phone screen looks like now:


When you click on one one your notes, it blows it up so you can click off your done item (or type in an item that you did that wasn't originally on your list, just so you can click if off.  I can't possibly be the only  person who does that!)

Oh look, I have a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University Class to go to on Thursdays!  There's a tip for people who need some help with their finances - I very highly recommend checking it out - http://www.daveramsey.com/home/.  Organizing our finances is another thing on my list.

So this ends today's topic.  Hope it helps someone!

Karen

PS - Does anyone else ever type their name wrong half the time they type it?  It seems like I am constantly typing Karne instead of my correct name!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! I haven't seen google keep! That looks just like what I need. Thank you Karen!!! And I love that you started a blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Keep can help you Heather! I really like it. And thanks for the encouragement on my blog - I appreciate it!

      Delete